Tuesday, July 22, 2014

I Call BS

So, I have been using BS as a metaphor when I made a "No BS" formula but there is no bull in any of the deodorant formulas but there IS baking soda and it shall remain.  I had read about some people experiencing sensitivity to baking soda and so I decided to try a recipe that left it out.  In fact, that's all it did.  The only difference.  No baking soda.  At the time, I thought "easy peasy."  And it was.  And I was looking forward to making more such batches.  But, as with the other variations thus far, I wanted other people to try it out.  So, I turned to my trusty testers and got batches out to some of those who were interested.  To try something different, I had mixed this version and poured it into glass containers thinking this consistency might be good for finger application.  In theory.  Spoiler alert.  Bad theory.  I happened to deliver some on a 90+ day and since the base is coconut oil, it was completely liquid.  So, I suggested refrigeration (much like the bee free version).  Because you can't very well dip your fingers into a liquid and have that apply easily.  I figured refrigeration would firm it up.  And it did.

Personally, I am still on my very first batch of bee free that kicked this journey off.  And it works really well for me.  And I don't tend to mess with what works.  But I was interested to try this version out for myself.

Anywho, back to "firm" deodorant.  So, it got firm.  To the point that you couldn't have possibly applied it with fingers...or in any other way out of a glass jar.  So, I put it on the counter.  Liquid.  There seemed to be no in between.  I didn't think about it for a few days.  Then, on a day with milder/ borderline cool temps, I had decided to try to salvage what I had made by warming it and pouring it into a plastic twist up.  After all, if the bee free needs to be refrigerated, this could too and could still dispense from a twist up, right?!  Well, since I'm answering myself here, the answer is yes.  But.  Here's what happened next.  I opened the one I had been personally testing and it was a good consistency.  Not hard, not liquid.  So, I tried it.  And it smelled lovely and applied smooth and I was SO excited.  Well, as excited as someone who is FINALLY getting to try a new deodorant formula.  So obviously, very excited (this might sound sarcastic, but to me - well, you know).  And then a few hours later (like, maybe 2) I smelled something I haven't smelled in about two months.  My own stank.  Which reminded me.  I am a stinky girl.  So, I reapplied.  Because why?  I don't know.  Maybe it would work better?  It did not.  I called off the testing.  In the meantime, I have been using it as a body lotion.  Lovely that way but it will not effectively kill the smell.

One of my testers asked me why it (the original two formulas...sadly not this most recent iteration) worked?  The coconut oil?  The baking soda?  I answered yes.  But at the time, I wasn't really sure.  I knew what I had read.  When I say "Less is More," I mean it.  More on that in another post.  But I had recently read that some people just smear some coconut oil on their armpits.  And, well...if that works, how can I justify selling a deodorant that adds more if that's not necessary.  But now I can confidently say that it IS necessary.  Each ingredient plays a part.  And without a little BS, this recipe doesn't work.  At least not for me.  I will continue to look for ways to improve upon this recipe and help people who have perhaps had skin sensitivities to find the right fit, but for now, I think we have stumbled on something pretty awesome.  And simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment