Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Reduce, Reuse, Recyle (and Rot)


In an effort to ensure this operation is environmentally friendly, I wanted to share a few of the things we are doing to minimize impact.  First of all, we are utilizing plastic containers.  There is no sugar coating that.  Even if you were to use pure cane sugar, agave nectar, or Sucanat.  But, let me explain.  When I first found a recipe for making my own deodorant, there were some options to pour it into a glass container (the better choice as far as material is concerned) or to pour it into a used deodorant container (a good re-use of a product that will never break down in a landfill and at best will be recycled eventually into a plastic bag).  For whatever reason, I had a hang up about applying deodorant in the "normal" way.  I couldn't imagine swiping it on my armpit with my fingertips.  At this point, I don't actually think that would bother me, but I have heard from a lot of people who feel the same way.  Also, to clarify, we do have glass containers as an option for those who would prefer to minimize plastics in their life.  Anyway, I waited until I had two empty deodorant containers myself to even attempt the recipe.  The thought never occurred to me prior to this experiment that one could buy empty deodorant containers.  This has been such an education!  So, my first batch was into containers I was re-using and I liked that.  I thought others might like it too.  So, one of our promotions is to re-use a BFB container for 10% off or if you have recently finished a container of deodorant, I can pour new deodorant right into your container.  You can use the same container forever.  I might suggest a person pursuing this route purchase two to start so you always have one at the ready.  In a game like Rock, Paper, Scissors, Reuse beats Recycle every time.

In an effort to be mindful of the products we use and the fuel utilized when shipping an item, as well as packaging material, I have ordered in large bulk for the ingredients needed for the recipe.  By doing so, one larger box was used instead of several smaller ones.  I am planning to hold on to smaller boxes for future shipping potential as well as packing material.  I am planning to use one of the larger boxes, unfolded as a Barefoot Body sign for Farmer's Markets and I used one sheet of cardboard from the side of a box to make a price list.  Any extra cardboard that can't be re-used will rot.  I have recently been reading a book called "Zero Waste Home" and the author follows 5 R's: Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Rot.  We have recently begun a compost pile in our backyard.  We have plenty of greens but not as much brown material.  I have taken to shredding junk mail that is not glossy, and cutting cardboard to add to the compost.  So, into the pile it goes.  If it can't be used in a crafty way.

And that 40 pound tub of coconut oil is going to make a fabulous bucket around our house one day.  Hopefully it lasts a good, long while, but I am looking forward to having a ginormous bucket.

No comments:

Post a Comment