Friday, August 29, 2014

Lice Repellant Hair Spray

Speaking of back to school...

You guys.  I looked for a picture to include with this post and they all skeeved me out, so I'm going to do us all a favor and make this a picture-less post.

Over the summer, a friend proposed I look into making lice repellant hair spray.  I looked into it and it seems very do-able.

Now, testing it is a different scenario.

Testing deodorant = adults, worst case scenario, you smell bad (actually worst case scenario, you have a skin reaction)

Testing bug spray = adults...and some kids, worst case scenario, you get bit by bugs, like mosquitoes, not lice.

Testing Lice Repellant Hair Spray = kids...or adults, worst case scenario, you get lice.  But seriously, I'm not asking anyone to expose themselves to lice intentionally.  I'm also not sure about actual kids being the first in line as testers.  So...any teacher friends interested in testing it out?  Mostly looking to see if there is any issue with scalp irritation?

The friend who suggested this has taken her daughter to our local Lice Lifters and uses the Nit Nanny hairspray daily.  This would be (hopefully) a similarly preventative measure.  Here is Nit Nanny's ingredient list:
Ingredients: Water, Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, Ceteth-10, Laureth-4, Quaternium 91, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium, Chloride, Myristyl Myristate, Phenoxyethyanol, Potassium Sorbate, Matricaria Recutita (Chamomile) Flower Extract, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil.

I don't know about you but I still spy a bunch of tricky vocab in that list.

I have read of tea tree oil being used solely to prevent lice but after some "research" (thanks, Pinterest!) I have come up with a blend of 7 oils to mix into what could also be used as a detangling spray.

And, similarly to the bug spray, I would suggest this have a shelf life of one "school season" or "camp season" as your needs determine.

So...any takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment