Friday, August 8, 2014

JR's Tester Feedback

This was too good not to share in its entirety!  When I inquired on Facebook, JR posted the following:

 "Yo E, I use a great deodorant I got from Whole Foods.  I can't remember the brand, but that's not important here.  I don't stink; even after toiling in the garden and kickboxing.  My problem is I still perspire a lot which leads to chafing/ irritation and then bad burning from the salt from my sweat which dries on my skin.  I know the aluminum that makes "anti-perspirant" ain't no good so what's a boy to do?"

I was curious about his current product's ingredient list and if it had a drying agent such as cornstarch or arrowroot powder.  It did not.  Here are the ingredients:

"Every Man Jack: Cedarwood Ingredients: Water/Aqua/Eau, Propanediol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice*, Sodium Stearate, Witch Hazel Distillate, Gossypium Herbaceum (Cotton) Extract, Calendula Extract*, Myrrh Gum Extract, Alpine Lichen Extract, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Chamomile Extract*, Salvia Sclarea (Clary Sage) Oil, Rosemarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Oil, Juniperus Virginiana Wood Extract, Fragrance/Parfum. *Certified Organic"

That seems like a lot to me.  Some questions that I thought of and so I looked for the answers...
What is Propanediol?
What is Sodium Stearate?
What is the Fragrance/Parfum coming from?

Only Every Man Jack knows...



I took this on as a challenge.  I was hoping that JR might find Barefoot Body's ingredients to be up to his standards and maybe help with excess perspiration.  After a testing period, here is what he wrote:


"1.  Not once during the duration of testing did I have body odor that I noticed (and I usually notice it - case in point, I've stunk each day since I ran out of yours and went back to my other deodorant.)
2.  On several occasions, with only normal, post-shower application, the deodorant survived 2 hours of intense kickboxing.  On two occasions it held through 2 hours of kickboxing, followed by an hour of jiujitsu, and then 45 minutes of power-lifting.
3.  My standard application was 5 "laps" (up+down = 1 lap) under each arm.  In the next round of tests I'd like to determine a "minimum" number of laps to maintain efficacy.
4.  At one point, for two days, my underarms became very irritated and red and stung pretty bad.  I have no proof either way if this was caused by the deodorant but I felt it was worth mentioning.

5.  Qualitatively, I would personally like the scent to be a little bit stronger.  I actually, couldn't smell the deodorant at all, which really isn't a big deal, but I do like "smelling like a man" sometimes!
I sweat a lot and generally push the limits of deodorants, so I was thoroughly impressed."


So, a few follow up notes.
1. Awesome
2. Amazing
3. Lovin' the data
4. Eek.  That doesn't sound great at all, BUT did go away...on the lady front, I've had many a day post shave when conventional deodorant stung under my arms but this wouldn't be the case (generally speaking) for our men so I want to look into this further.
5.  I completely agree!  I found the Sandalwood to be ridiculously close to Fragrance Free to the point where I questioned if I perhaps forgot to include it.  So I made a batch where I doubled the ratio of Essential Oil blend and noticed no difference in scent.  Then I smelled the oil itself and realized it was quite faint, so if you're interested in a more manly scent, may I recommend our newest scent option: Balsam Fir (more on that in the next post).

Overall, I am super pleased with this feedback and looking further into options that decrease irritation, for example our bee free option (not always practical for everyone but possibly less irritating) and still trying out the No BS version.  A big thank you to JR and all our testers for their feedback!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment