Saturday, June 21, 2014

The "Natural" Deodorant Aisle


So, you've made the decision to jump in to the natural deodorant aisle at Whole Foods.  Been there.  Done that.  Let me share just a few of the brands I've tried that haven't worked.  I've been a little stinky for about 6 years.  A long time, right?  You might have thought I would have tried to make my own sooner.  But, it took 6 years for a reason.  I don't like to waste either.  So, each of these was used from start to finish even if they didn't work.  Stinky and expensive!  Let me save you the trouble.  I present to you, "The Sniff of Shame."


This one was tricky.  It looked too good to be true.  And, as it turned out it was.  For all the good it did, I may as well have been spritzing with water.

While I can say with a degree (get it?  Degree?!) of certainty that this deodorant didn't work, they had me at tea tree oil.  And I WILL say that I do love Alba Botanica's sunscreen offerings.  My family and I have been using their sunscreen for a number of years and it is consistently featured on the Environmental Working Group's Best Sunscreen List.  This year is no different: http://www.ewg.org/2014sunscreen/

Verdict: Sunscreen = Yes, Deodorant = No


http://www.tomsofmaine.com/
In theory, I love Tom's.  I love that it is widely available and accessible.  Because, I no longer have the time (or money) to shop at Whole Foods on a regular basis, so while this brand IS available there, it is also available everywhere else.  Which I like.  What I don't like, that it doesn't work.  Bummer.

Verdict: Toothpaste = Yes, Deodorant = No

Overall, while I suggest you steer clear of Whole Foods for deodorant and either make your own or give Barefoot Body a try, I CAN get on board with what they are saying here:
http://m.wholefoodsmarket.com/blog/whole-story/choosing-better-deodorant

Choose a better deodorant.

No comments:

Post a Comment