Sunday, June 22, 2014

Origin of an Idea


I saved a recipe for a homemade coconut oil based deodorant on Pinterest a while ago.  Making it was on my to-do list ever since and two weeks ago, an actual nap (baby boy's not mine, sadly) made it possible for me to check the pantry to see if I had all the ingredients I needed.  Not exactly.  But I've never let that stop me before!  So.  What did I have?  Baking soda? Check!  Coconut Oil?  Check!  Arrowroot Powder?  WTH is arrowroot powder?  I actually WILL address WTH arrowroot powder is and why we DO now use it.  But on that day, no dice.  If ever you encounter such an issue with a baking recipe, I suggest you follow this advice.  WWGD: What Would Google Do?  I searched substitute for arrowroot powder and voila!  Cornstarch!  Who knew?  So these two substances are approximately interchangeable.  So, on that day I used cornstarch.  Next, essential oils.  Hmmm.  Well, I had essential oils but I don't know many people who want to smell like Lemon Eucalyptus.  To explain, I use that on the soles of my feet when I have a cough.  Works wonders!  But, even when needed, my husband hates that particular stink so the likelihood he would tolerate it on my underarms was slim to none.  What else might work?  Ah ha!  I had an Aura Cacia body oil.  When I checked the ingredients, it included a blend of essential oils and (bonus!) Vitamin E.  Jackpot.  I found the recipe easy to follow and prepare and I poured it into two empty deodorant containers I had been saving for just such an occasion.  Popped them in the refrigerator and done!  It was like magic.  And I thought to myself, "I wonder if anyone else might like some...?" Five randomly selected Facebook testers later, some adjustments to the recipe to make it our own and here we are, seeing if any of you lovely people might like some too.  Visit our products page to see what is available and send an email to: barefootbodybrand@gmail.com for more information or to place an order.

Pinterest DIY Coconut Deodorant Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment